Nustadia Development Division
Nustadia Recreation Inc.’s (NRI) Facility Development Division provides complete specialized services associated with the creation and development of community / educational sports and recreation facilities and associated work.
NRI has adopted a unique approach to the development of recreational facilities that integrates the physical and financial development of the facility. Our development program integrates the facility operating cash flows with the building program and user profile, within the context of the full development capital costs, allowing for different financing models and / or combinations of equity, debt, capital contribution and grants to be used to finance the project. NRI’s development approach focuses on the business planning and the physical planning of the facility. The design and construction are only part of the life of the facility. It is critical that the optimum financial and operational requirements are met for the long-term success of the venture.
NRI offers development consulting services to outside clients where there is no long-term operating agreement or ownership involvement through NRI and includes the following:
- Feasibility Studies – detailed analysis of the envisioned project, local demographics, potential user groups, potential facility tenants and each factor’s collective ability to support projected demand.
- Building Program Identiﬁcation – taking the feasibility study analysis and converting this information to identify a building program for the client and community that makes good ﬁscal sense from a long-term ﬁnancial sustainability perspective.
- Project Master Planning –identiﬁcation of all of the required elements of the project with respect to site location, parking requirements, service and utility requirements, building program and layout, as well as special events considerations.
- Design Coordination – all architectural and engineering services inclusive of conceptual design, design development, working drawings and contract administration. No other ﬁrm can provide the design input from both development and operational perspectives with the background and experience of NRI.
- Project Management Services -management of construction process to optimize and monitor project costs, scheduling and building quality. Different types of project delivery can be used such as design/build, modiﬁed design build, guaranteed maximum price tenders and other models.
- NRI also has extensive experience in tenant improvement ﬁt-outs such as full-service restaurants, concessions, office space, golf simulators, YMCA, Fitness Centres, and sport retail outlets with third-party vendors.
- NRI also have extensive project management experience with the FF&E fit-ups to meet the specific needs of community recreation facilities which include; voice/ data, sound, security, IT equipment, sport specific equipment, offices, facility life-saving equipment, score clocks and much more.
- Business Proforma & Plans -provision of capital cost estimates, projected revenues from building uses, projected operational expenses, and projected capital and debt ﬁnancing requirements to support the economic viability of the project.
NRI has become the industry leader in the development of community and educational recreation facilities. Since 2002, NRI has provided development services for projects with a combined project value near $500 million that include the following:
- $66 M six-pad (6) arena addition to Co-operators Centre/Evraz Place in Regina, SK
- $43 M twin (2) pad arena and gymnasium facility at the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, SK
- $40 M twin (2) pad arena and indoor playing field in Grande Prairie, AB
- $40 M four (4) field indoor soccer facility in Okotoks, AB
- $24 M twin (2) pad arena, indoor playing field, and outdoor playing fields in Amherstburg, ON
- $21 M Sports & Entertainment Centre, Guelph, ON
- $20 M twin (2) pad arena at Upper Canada College in Toronto, ON
- $19 M Sports & Entertainment Centre, Sarnia, ON
- $18 M four (4) pad arena at Western Fair in London, ON
- $16 M four (4) pad arena facility in Hamilton, ON
- $16 M indoor field house and tennis facility in Welland, ON
- $7 M playing field (Air Inflated structure) In Ottawa, ON
- $3 M re-purposing of tennis facility to indoor playing field and outdoor artificial soccer field for Ontario Tech University/Durham College in Oshawa, ON
- $2.6 M indoor/outdoor playing field (air inflated structure) in Toronto, ON
- $42 M four (4) pad arena facility in Bedford, NS
- $39 M four (4) pad arena facility in Dartmouth, NS
- $36 M twin (2) pad arena facility and YMCA in Pictou County, NS
- $24 M twin (2) pad arena facility in Membertou, NS
- $16 M four (4) pad arena facility in Moncton, NB
Nustadia Development Division is also focused on Environmental Stewardship. Our team has extensive experience in sustainable solutions for the development of community recreation projects. NRI has won the Ontario wide Mayor’s Challenge Award for the most energy efficient arena facility, Mohawk 4 Ice Centre in Hamilton, and has achieved LEED gold certified status for the project at Upper Canada College in Toronto, and LEED silver certified status for the Amherstburg, ON project and the Dartmouth, NS project.